THE LOCK-UP WAS BUILT TO SUPPORT THE NEWCASTLE POLICE STATION WHICH WAS HOUSED IN THE ADJACENT COURT HOUSE (NOW THE SITE OF THE FORMER 1902 POST OFFICE) AND WAS USED FROM 1861 UNTIL ITS CLOSURE IN 1982.

Blak Douglas and Adam Geczy Torn Brown Skin 2016 (installation) custom neon sign 90 x 100cm. Image courtesy the artists. Photography by Jessie Jane Photography.
Justine Emard Soul Shift 2018 (installation) video still. Image courtesy of the artist.

THE BUILDING OF THE NEWCASTLE POLICE STATION AND LOCK-UP WAS COMPLETED IN 1861. MORTIMER LEWIS JNR DESIGNED A SINGLE STOREY BUILDING UNDER THE DIRECTION OF JAMES BARNET.

THE CELLS WERE USED AS A PLACE OF SHORT-TERM CONFINEMENT FOR BOTH MEN AND WOMEN. STAYS WERE SHORT – THREE TO FOUR DAYS.

THE YARD WAS ONCE AN outdoor AREA THAT ALLOWED DETAINEES Time TO STRETCH THEIR LEGS. It was ALSO USED AS A SPACE TO HOLD PUBLIC FLOGGINGS.

SUBSCRIBE TO RECEIVE UPDATES ON OPENINGS, EXHIBITIONS AND EVENTS.

THE LOCK-UP: 1800S POLICE STATION REIMAGINED AS CONTEMPORARY ART SPACE

+61 2 4925 2265
90 Hunter Street
Newcastle NSW 2300
Australia

Enquiry Form